Friday, June 5, 2009

46 Years and Counting


Sunday, June 7 will mark Dena and my forty-sixth Wedding Anniversary. What a life we have had together and the memories are to many to recall but let me share a couple that came to mind over coffee this morning.
Shortly after we had met working at the HEB Grocery in Bay City, Texas. I was the Night Manager and she was a new girl from Flour Bluff who was a part time checker. While walking into the store for work one day unknown to me she was driving away in her old Dodge. She was so wrapped up in watching the love of her life walk by she ran her car into a light pole in the parking lot. Of course I didn't learn of this until after we were married.
Now let me tell one on me. We were stationed in Hawaii and were attending the Marine Corps Ball. While eating the Prime Rib Dinner I busied myself dressing up my baked potato. I like to put everything available on my spud; salt, pepper, lots of butter, green onions, bacon bits and lots of sour cream (its a virtual spud sundae). After taking my first bite I could hardly swallow it. I leaned over a told Dena my potato was spoiled. She asked what I had put on it and I recounted the above. She informed me there was no sour cream that I had loaded my potato with horseradish.
Thanks Dena for all the years and memories I will Cherish them and you for the rest of my days.

3 comments:

  1. Oh George, that was so sweet. Brought a tear to my eye. Happy Anniversary to you and Dena! May you have many more.

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't believe Dena has ever told us the story about running into the pole!!

    Happy Anniversary to you both. You're a great couple.

    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary Mom & Dad! We love you so much and miss you even more. You have been a wonderful example for me and I thank God for you daily.

    ReplyDelete