Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Tuesday Words


I have been wondering about the recent flack about Toyota. Is it really a failure by Toyota or a ploy to increase Government Motor Company? I have thought back over the last 50 years of my auto experience.
I started out a devoted Chevrolet fan, my first car was a classic 57'. It used about a quart of oil per tank of gas. In the sixty's we had an Impala that at about 12K miles or so lost its rear end. The warranty repairs were made and a miss matched rear end was installed resulting in a drop from 22 to 10 miles per gallon of gas. We were unable to get G.M. to do anything about it.
We owned two Dodges, a Charger that my wife thinks was the best car we ever owned and a Ram truck. We had warranty repairs with the truck and Dodge handled them well.
We have owned many Fords and Mercury's with great satisfaction leading me to believe the Mercury Grand Marques is the best dollar for dollar buy among domestics.
When the government and unions forced most companies to move their manufacturing to Mexico and Canada we decided to look for a dependable company that did most of their work in the USA. That led me to Toyota, I believe to be the most American car on the road as very few models are imported.
We have owned only Toyota's for the past twenty years and have owned Camry's, Corollas and now a Sienna Van. The only trouble we experienced other than service was with our first Camry, after about 2K miles it ate the timing belt leaving my wife stranded on the highway on her way to work. The dealer got to her quickly with a loaner, towed and repaired the car and we have never had another problem with a Toyota in over twenty years. They get the mileage they advertise, they are comfortable and dependable.
I think this is a good example of what happens when government gets involved in industry, I will continue to be a loyal Toyota consumer whatever congress decides. I wonder how many of them drive Toyota's? If not maybe they should, just my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment