Thursday, November 5, 2009

Thursday Words


I remember when we were living in North East Texas and I was working at Lone Star Steel. The plant was about 30 miles from where we lived and the drive home was a good time to settle down from the stress of the work day as an electrical foreman. On this particular day it was a slow drive as we were having the first snowfall of the season (a semi rare event). I was in a long line of 18 wheelers and others as we slowly made our way over the hills.
It was the days when everyone was a CBer so we were carrying on a steady chatter as we creeped along. I remember one trucker and I were having a great time sharing tales but there was this one guy in front of me driving a big Buick with Michigan tags that kept butting in about how slow the traffic was and how none of us "rednecks" knew how to drive and we would not know what to do if we really saw some bad weather.
As we approached Linden, Texas (where I lived) there was a small Toyota Road Grader working to clear the road. The guy from Michigan couldn't pass up the chance, "No wonder the roads are in such bad shape, look at that miniature grader."
Over the CB came a call, "Break for the Tree Frog (that was my handle) this is the Big Hammer."
I replied, "You got the Tree Frog come on Big Hammer."
Big Hammer asked, "Tree Frog do you know the difference between a Yankee and a hemorrhoid?"
I replied, "Know I don't Big Hammer come on."
Big Hammer, "They are both a pain in the ass and neither one of them will go back where they came from!"
I replied, "Ten-four good buddy."
The rest of the trip was made in silence.

1 comment:

  1. LOL. Be careful Daddy, your s.n.l. was born a yankee but is proud to be a Texan now!

    ReplyDelete