Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Tuesday Words


I can't understand people who feel like they are entitled to this or that.
I can't understand how what happened to others in the past entitles someone to entitlement just by virtue of who they are.
It seems to me that those who get something at the expense of others (isn't that what entitlements are?) neither appreciates what they have or respects those who sacrificed for it.
I remember when I as a young man how proud I felt when I finally got what I could call my own bedroom. For all my young life I had either shared a bed, or a room with a sibling or kinfolk or just slept on a couch or pallet in the living room. It didn't seem to matter much at the time as I always had clothing and don't remember ever going to bed hungry. But boy that first room of my own! What a thrill!! And as a bonus I got to share it with a new bride!!!
That was a long time ago and it may seem like a little thing but it was a source of pride and achievement to me as no one gave it to me or made it easy, I got there on my own. Somehow I feel too many in our society are being cheated out of the pride of accomplishment by the feeling of entitlement.

No comments:

Post a Comment