Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Tuesday Words


To say that cats have a mind of their own is probably the understatement of all time. As my blog title implies I am retired and share the major part of my life with these three feline individuals.
One is an old Tom who we obtained at a prison in south Texas.
What they didn't tell us was that he was an inmate. He is aggressive, though the years have mellowed him a little, his requirements are to be left alone to sleep, eat anything that he spies and when my wife is in her recliner he becomes the perfect lap cat. He wouldn't sit in my lap if it were filled with fresh fish.
One is an elderly patch work quilt we appropriately call Patches. She also is independent and has a confused personality. She is a picky eater, wants to be left alone 90% of the time, has six toes on each paw but when she is in one of her social moods she has a wonderful personality. One look at her face and you know what her mood is.
The other is a little black girl that I rescued one night as a small kitten. She was separated or deserted by her mother, covered with mud and hours from death for sure. We had to nurse her with a eye dropper and in general restore her to life. She follows me everywhere I go and her greatest joy is to stick her head in my smelly shoes. Unfortunately I nursed her soon after her eyes were open and believe she thinks I am her mother.
I jokingly tell my wife that with the experience I have gained since retirement I will pay for my sins (yes we all have them) in heaven by being assigned to take care of heaven's litter boxes for you see unlike many I believe cats will be in heaven if for no other reason than to remind us of who we are and where we came from.

1 comment: